First thing is first, stop with all the excuses as “I do not have the time for self-care” because your attention cannot be focused only on others, you need to put yourself on the list of people you care about. A self-care routine will not take up as much of your time as you think because these routines are mostly simple and can be easily included in your daily schedule.
Maintaining good health is one of the biggest concerns of Ayurveda self-care rituals which stretch from simple and easy to complex. The best thing about these rituals is the fact that there is a large variety of them and you can freely choose which you will implement into your life.
Ayurvedic self-care rituals
- Rise earlier than usual
By waking up earlier we do not mean like ten minutes or half an hour earlier, earlier in this case means you should rise just before sunrise (if this does not fit into your life-style, you can try to get out of bed at 6 am). This ritual exists because Ayurveda is a practice which places great importance on being one with nature, which means synching your body with the rhythm of nature. Moreover, getting out of bed earlier can be great because it opens the possibility to include other self-care rituals in your mornings.
Self-massage or also known as abhyanga, will help you get rid of toxins, stress and at the same time it will the circulation of your body and stimulate your internal organs. For this massage you will be using warm oil and choosing which specific oil you should use depends on your dosha.
Doshas are in fact among the central concepts of Ayurveda. There are three main body types: Pitta, Vata and Kapha and every individual is a unique mix of these three. Furthermore,knowing your dosha is crucial and essential for your health and general well-being.
Kapha: Safflower oil
Vata: Sesame oil
Pita: Coconut oil
All doshas: Jojoba oil
- Massage your scalp, starting from the crown and slowly move on through the entire scalp. Use circular motions and do so for 2-3 minutes.
- Then move on to your face and later to your limbs.
- When massaging your limbs remember to use long, sweeping strokes aimed towards the center of your body.
- Next, move on to your abdomen and massage in the direction of your intestines.
- Your last stop are your feet and when you have finished with the massage have a warm shower or a bath.
- Drink lemon, ginger and honey tea
A combination of warm honey tea with ginger and lemon is absolutely the best way to start your day. Not only does ginger get rid of the toxins stored in your body, it is also known to lower cholesterol and reduce headaches.
All you need to do is grate some fresh ginger into a cup with warm water and then add in the honey and lemon as a final touch.
The best thing about meditation is that it has no limits, anybody can meditate in any given location they choose. Furthermore, meditation brings various benefits to your body such as:
- Improve sleep
- Help fight addiction
- Promote emotional-health
- Reduce stress
- Control anxiety
- Enhance self-awareness
- Eat your breakfast in silence
Solitude can be the perfect gift for your soul and let’s be honest when was the last time you enjoyed a quiet breakfast by yourself. Eating alone with no distractions can be very good for your body because it can stop you from overeating by giving your brain and digestive tract time to communicate and exchange information about the amount of food you are processing.
- Tongue scraping
I think that there is no such person who hasn’t noticed a white coating over the tongue or experienced bad breath in the morning even though he/she pays extra attention to the health of their oral cavity. The term used for this in Ayurveda is “ama”.
Ama is in fact a combination of toxins and improperly digested food and it builds up on your tongue during the night. The perfect solution for such a problem is tongue scraping which is fairly easy and simple:
- The first thing you need to do is go out and buy a tongue scraper and when you do use it by holding it with both your hands and place it as far as back on your tongue as you can.
- Next, by applying gentle pressure move it towards to the tip of your tongue.
- After doing so, rinse the tongue scraper with warm water and repeat the same procedure exactly 5 times.
- When done, wash your mouth with water.