So, what makes chia seeds so special? For starters, chia seeds are rich with antioxidants, omega 3s and calcium, the nutrients we are all in need of. They also have the ability to thicken and gel which makes them versatile and a perfect addition to many recipes.
What is chia pudding?
Chia pudding is in fact a simple and easy way for us to get the benefits of chia seeds. It is easy to make which ultimately makes it the perfect breakfast if you are in a rush.
To store this chia seed pudding, you can simply use small mason jars or reused baby food jars and if you want to include this dessert in your kid’s lunch store it in squeeze pouches.
You can freely add fresh fruit, soaked nuts or chocolate shavings to sweeten the flavor of this delicious dessert.
Blended vs Whole Chia seeds
If you are not a fan of the texture of chia seeds and prefer a smoother texture you can blend them before use. Whole chia seeds can be used too, so it’s up to you.
Moreover, as we mentioned the recipe is easy to make and takes about 5 minutes.
- For the smooth (blended) version
Put the wanted ingredients in blender and process until it is well blend. With this use can use chocolate, or vanilla which will result in a greyish color.
- For the whole seed version
As you may already suspect, the seeds should be left whole and whisked with the other ingredients. If you want to add in flavors as strawberry, chocolate or PBJ, you will need to blend them into the liquid before whisking in the chia seeds. This is done prevent the flavor from being uneven.
Chia seed pudding recipe
- ¼ cup maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- For the smooth, blended version: Put the needed ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 1-2 minutes, until it is completely smooth.
- For the whole chia seed pudding: First blend all the ingredients (including the flavors) except the chia seeds. After it is all well processed and smooth, whisk in the chia seeds.
- Put the mixture in a glass container or a jar, whichever you prefer and then store it in the refrigerator and leave it for 4 hours or let it stay overnight.
- Remember, to shake it a few times within the first hour,in order for it to gel evenly. It is best to make this pudding at the evening so that you have a prepared breakfast in the morning. However, if you want to have a dessert after dinner you can prepare it in the morning.
As we’ve already said earlier, this recipe is very versatile so feel free to experiment.
Chia seed pudding variations
The best thing about this recipe is that you can change any part of it and not mess up. there are many ways to customize it, so you can have a lot of fun while experimenting.
Different or Les sweetener
If you enjoy the natural sweetness of coconut and chia you can leave out the sweetener out of the recipe or if you don’t like maple syrup in particular, you can substitute with stevia.
You can substitute every ingredient from this recipe, so experiment and see what your friends and family like the most.
Mix up the flavor
Bellow we present you with some great flavor options that are worth trying.
First add ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the base recipe and if you want to ½ teaspoon of almond extract. Lastly, add ½ cup of chopped toasted pecans into the finished pudding.
This refers to the blended version of this pudding recipe. You can add either chocolate flavored stevia or ¼ cup coca powder.
You can use freshly blend strawberry juice as part of the liquid from the whole chia seed recipe or you can simply add ½ fresh strawberries to the blended recipe.
You can add 3 table spoons of natural peanut or almond butter and jelly to the blended version of the recipe. Another great option to try is blending the peanut butter and jelly into the milk before adding the seeds.