Peanut butter cookies have been a cherished tradition for more than a hundred years. Therefore, it is no surprise that there are many variations to the original recipe. In the past peanut butter cookies were either cut into shapes or rolled and had no fork marks.
Today it is common to use the spatula or a fork to press the cookie and we all know that this is done so the cookie will be entirely baked. In the past, people had less access to this type of information but in our internet-era we have lots of available recipes and ingredients which makes it easy for us to experiment.
This recipe is made with chocolate chips plus peanut butter chips, a full cup of peanut butter and of course Reese’s Pieces. This is in fact a modification of Nellie’s recipe and the extra ingredient are Reese’s Pieces whichdefinitely do the trick.
What makes these cookies extraordinary is the fact that they are both soft and have the perfect peanut butter flavor.
Tips to get the perfect peanut butter cookies
You will need only three simple ingredients to easily prepare these cookies. The ingredients are commonly used in almost every cookie recipe, so we can say they are quite versatile. The first thing that needs to be done is to line cookie sheets with a piece of parchment paper.
This will enable the cookies to bake well without sticking also you’ll not make any mess because there is no need to spray oil over the cookie sheets.
Next in line is the cookie scoop. We all know that measuring and scraping cookie dough onto the pan with the help of two spoons is not the best way to do so. What makes cookie scoops great is that they come in three sizes- ½ tablespoon, 1.5 tablespoon and 3 tablespoon scoops.
For this recipe, we recommend you use the middle-sized cookie scoop. (When serving a larger crowd, we suggest you use the small cookie scoop because people enjoy having a smaller cookie especially at an event where there are other options to choose from).
The best chocolate peanut butter cookie recipe
You may ask what makes this recipe so special?
Well, most cookies don’s have chocolate chips in them, but this recipe is made of semi-sweet chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, mini Reese’s Pieces andregular sized Reese’s Pieces too. So, you can imagine the result, it’s like paradise in your mouth.
Feel free to add a mixture of your favorite chocolate and cadies but before you do remember to measure about two cups.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp butter (softened)
- 11/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups combined chocolate chips/ Reese’s
How to make peanut butter cookies
- Use a hand mixer to cream together the peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Process until it is blended well.
- Add in the milk, egg and vanilla
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt and the baking powder.
- Next, add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture and mix together. Then, stir in the mix of peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, regular and mini Reese’s Pieces. Use about ½ a cup of each and if you like you can use save some of the Reese’s Pieces for the top of the cookies.
- Now that the mixture is done, scoop tablespoonfuls of dough and roll them into balls
- The cookies should be placed 2 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheets. Take the Reese’s Pieces you saved and press them onto each cookie dough ball.
- Be careful no to overcook. The cookies should be baked on temperature of 375 °C for 8 to 10 minutes. It is best not to beak these cookies all the way throughbecause they taste much better soft than crunchy.
- Cookies scooped with a medium 1.5 tbsp scoop should be baked for 8 minutes, while those scooped with a large 3 tbsp scoop need 10 minutes to be baked properly.