Fresh mint lemonade is the perfect drink to soothe your thirst. Sipping a glass of lemonade and enjoying your lazy Sunday afternoon is always a good idea. You can also serve this beverage when you have guests over or even better when you are hosting a summer-party at your backyard.
The great thing about lemonade is that it takes very little time to prepare it. All you need are a few simple ingredients: some mint leaves, a few lemons, sugar and water. However, this is not just your regular everyday recipe, it is very refreshing and has a unique flavor because it includes mint as its ingredient.
Mint is a very versatile herb that can be commonly found as an ingredient in many summer cocktails, iced teas, and infused waters.
What do you need to prepare mint lemonade?
- A jar, glass or pitcher large enough and suitable for the amount of lemonade you want to prepare.
- A spatula or spoon that you’ll be using to stir and dissolve the sugar
- Some lemons and fresh mint leaves
- Some ice and some lemon slices to spice things up and ensure a stronger flavor
Fresh mint lemonade recipe
- 1/3 cup of mint leaves
- 8 cups of water
- 5-6 lemons
- ¾ cup of sugar (you can increase the dose if you like)
- First, take the lemons and squeeze them over a strainer into a measuring cup. The listed amount of lemons will provide you with one full cup of lemon juice.
- Next, take the fresh mint leave and sugar, put them into a small pitcher and use a spoon to mash them together.
- Transfer the lemon juice into the pitcher and use a spoon to stir it all together until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Finally, transfer the mix into a jar and add in the 8 cups of water. Stir again and once you are done taste the lemonade to see if you need to add in the lemon slices or more sugar.
- In case you are thinking of serving the lemonade with ice, we suggest you make it a bit stronger because the ice will eventually melt and dilute the lemonade.
- Once you are finished with these steps, store the lemonade in the fridge and leave it to chill at least for a couple of hours.
Since every lemon does not taste the same and some are more sour than other, it is best to taste the lemon before you go on to making the lemonade. This way you will know if you need to add in some extra sugar.
We recommend using either filtered or bottled water, but if you have quality tap water you can use it as well. If you are feeling adventurous and want to try something different this time, you can use sparkling water instead.
- Remember to wash the lemons before using them to ensure there is no wax or other dirt.
- If you end up with some extra mint leaves and lemon slices when you’ve finished, do not throw them in the trashcan. Put them into a jar and top them with some water, then leave it in the fridge to infuse for a few hours. Take it out and pour yourself a glass of homemade lemon infused water.
- Another thing that you should keep in mind is that the longer you leave the lemonade in the fridge, the stronger the flavor will be.
- Always go to the store to buy some lemons before making the lemonade and prepare it right away. This way your lemon juice will be fresh, and your lemonade will taste better than ever.
- Both the mint and lemon flavor get stronger if you leave the lemonade for an extra couple of hours in the fridge.
Is lemonade good for you?
Being a great source of vitamin C and pectin, not only are lemons good for your overall health, but they also make you feel full longer which can be of great help if you are trying to cut down on the eating and lose a few pounds. However, you must be careful not to overuse sugar when preparing this drink because if you make it extra sweet it may not be the healthiest of beverages.