Houseplants are considered an excellent element it home décor and they can offer several medicinal benefits too. But, this doesn’t mean that every beautiful plant can have a place in your household. Top 10 most poisonous and dangerous houseplants:
One of the most popular houseplants, the philodendron, contain insoluble crystals of calcium oxalate which are considered to be toxic elements. Luckily, this has little effect on humans, however, they can cause several reaction in people who are sensitive to them. This plant is also toxic to cats and dogs and can cause symptoms like swelling, increase salvation, breathing problems and vomiting upon ingestion.
Another danger to pets and kids. Its stalk, roots, and leaves are highly toxic as they contain contain needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals.
Its milky latex can irritate the skin and the plan also contains compounds called glycosides which cause symptoms like excess salvation, nausea, vomiting, oral irritation, irregular heartbeat, and diarrhea.
4. Golden Pothos
This houseplant has been listed as toxic to both dogs and cats by The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). This plant also contains insoluble calcium oxalates, which can cause swelling on the tongue and lips and tissue irritation.
5. Arrowhead plant
Both animals and humans are vulnerable to this plant’s juice. It leads to irritated skin, swelling and burning sensation in the mouth, throat, and stomach.
6. Peace Lily
A beautiful and popular plant, the peace Lily also contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, known as raphites, which can cause vomiting, foaming, drooling, and oral pain in pets. Dehydration can also occur, as well as renal failure, which is a severe condition in pets.
The toxic element in this houseplant is diterpene esters. This plant can cause skin redness, swelling and blisters upon contact as well as stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
This plant is beautiful and requires little maintenance, however, it contains insoluble calcium oxalates and asparagine, which are toxic to both pets and humans. All parts of the plant are poisonous and the symptoms include vomiting, a hoarse voice, intense burning and irritation of the tongue, lips and tongue.
9. Elephant Ear
The leaves and stem of this plant are considered most toxic and ingestion can cause nausea, vomiting and swelling in the mouth and throat. If your pet or kid ingests the leaves, immediately consult a doctor.
10. Asparagus Fern
Both the berries and the leaves of this plant contain chemicals that are toxic to cats, according to the ASPCA. The toxic element is called sapogenin. It can cause severe skin irritation upon contact in cats.