If you have small white raised bumps around your eyes, cheeks or on any other spot and thinks that these are just regular pimples, it is a good idea to take a closer look and examine them better because they might be milia.
What is milia?
The simplest explanation for milia is that these bumps are in fact pockets of skin that trap death skin cells inside themselves. However, medically speaking milia are in fact groups of cysts that usually appear on the face, most commonly around the nose and cheeks. Milia are formed from the top skin layer of the epidermis and these white bumps get their color from the cells of the death skin layer (stratum corneum).
Causers of milia
An actual, solid reason for these cysts has not yet been determined, all that is known is that some people are prone to milia and get them very often. Though, the cause remains a mystery there are some possible explanations as:
- Allergic reactions
- Irritation caused by harsh facial products (steroid creams)
- Skin rashes (seborrheic dermatitis and rosacea)
- Changes of the skin caused by overexposure to the sun
- Injuries caused by poison ivy
Where do milia occur?
As we mentioned, milia mostly occur on the face but they may also appear on other body parts as:
- The backside of the hands
Get rid of milia by using home remedies
Being harmless and tiny milia cyst are not something to worry about, however if these white bumps make you feel embarrassed or bring out your anxiety worry not because there are plenty of natural remedies that can help you solve this problem.
The main technique for milia-removal is exfoliation and luckily rice powder is the perfect exfoliator. In this recipe are also added some other ingredient to enhance the effect and successfully get rid of milia.
- ½ tbs rice powder
- 1tbs honey
- 1 tbs baking soda
- First, put the needed amount of rice powder, baking soda and honey in a bow.
- Then add in the water to make a paste
- When done, apply this on your face and rub gently in circular motions for 2 or 3 minutes
- Rinse off with water
Green coffee beans scrub
Due to green coffee beans not being roasted yet, all the antioxidants are still present in them. This is wonderful news because these specific antioxidants can fight off free radicals and therefor give you flawless skin. Moreover, these beans can also be used to prepare a scrub that will help you get rid of milia.
- 1tbs green coffee beans
- 1tbs jojoba oil
- 1tbs brown sugar
- Combine all the ingredients together to make a paste and then apply it on your face
- Gently rub for 1 or 2 minutes, then wash it of with warm water
- When you have finished, apply moisturizer
Not only are almonds rich in nutrients, they also have great emollient and moisturizing properties. These properties make almonds are theideal remedy that will both bring you flawless skin and help you resolve thosemilia-problems.
- 5 or 6 almonds
- 1 tbs honey
- Leave the almonds to soak overnight and in the morning peel and grind them to get a coarse powder (do not make it a fine powder)
- Add in the honey and if you need to use a few drops of water to make it a paste
- Next, apply the scrub and leave it on for 5-10 min to work
- For another whole minute gently rub in circular motion
- Finally, wash it off using water and then pat dry
Baking soda is the perfect milia-remedy because It is a great exfoliator. it is very efficient due to being able to remove dead skin cells from your skin and as we know these cells are the primary cause of the problem.
- 1 tbs baking soda
- Mix the two listed ingredients to get a paste and them apply it on your skin and leave it on until it dries out
- Rinse it off and pat dry
- Remember to apply moisturizer, this refers especially to those with dry skin
Exfoliate skin with facial sauna
Facial sauna is the best way to kill dead skin cells and bacteria, furthermore it also prevents pimple and acne because it wipes away the dirt and oil off your skin.
You will need:
- A bowl filled with hot water or a facial steamer
- Exfoliating facial scrubs (you can use any of the above mentioned)
- Cool water
- Face wash or mild soap
- First wash your face using either face wash or mild soap and then pat it dry
- Then using either a bowl of hot water or a steamer, steam your face for 3-5 minutes
- When finished, pat it dry with a towel
- Next, apply the scrub and rub gently for no more than half a minute
- Once finished, wash it off with warm water and then wipe with a soft face cloth
Lastly, wash your face with cold water, pat dry and apply moisturizer